Believe it or not, a significant part of my free time this week has been spent on this project. I had decided on a theme, did all the work and then realised that I had found a much better theme, with more flexibility, better design options and much more long term scalability. So all the work that led up to that point was sent to the trash bin and I started again. I am much happier with the result.
My goal is to go live this weekend, even though there are still a few things that will need to be completed. I will also be setting up the redirects on this site so that anyone who has this book-marked will end up in the correct location.
I plan to write a summary of this entire exercise as one of the first posts on the new platform.
Watch this space 🙂
Beginning this exercise, you think “What the hell, I want more flexibility – lets move the blog”. Of course nothing in life is that straight forward. To export a WordPress.com blog to a hosted account, is not that complex. If you are remotely interested you can read about it here.
Like all things, you need to get everything into place beforehand. So, firstly I registered a new domain and with a name like mine there is not a lot of competition for relevant domains that involve the name ‘paul draskovich’ 🙂 I use Namecheap because as the name implies that is exactly what it is.
Next set up a WordPress installation with your hosting provider. In my case I am beginning to use GVO Hosting because they offer an amazing infrastructure at a really reasonable price.
Then you need to decide on a theme. There are of course a lot of really good free themes out there but I want a specific look and I want to add some specific functionality. So last week I spent hours checking out the various WordPress theme providers. Trust me there are a lot. What became clear was the need to find a provider that gives you a wide choice of themes, really good support and infrastructure at a realistic price. I chose Woo Themes because they met all of those requirements.
This week I will finalise the structure of the new site, test it and then migrate. Should be interesting.