This afternoon, half asleep and not paying the attention I should have done, I authorised what I thought was an Adobe update, well that was a big mistake. From that point on, whenever I opened IE8 (I know, I know) it kept on repeatedly cycling “This tab has been recovered”. So the page was constantly closing and reopening. So after spending 4 hours on forums I came across a post that advised to install a malware program from www.malwarebytes.org Sure enough there it was. The program cleaned it out and we are back to square one.
Two lessons here. First is, make sure you ALWAYS understand what you are installing and lesson two is make sure you have a second browser installed on your machine. If I didn’t I would have been screwed.
I heartily recommend installing this and running it regularly. The nice thing is that it is also free.